Studio Make Believe
Studio Make Believe is a growing, independent product design business that creates useful objects to solve business, brand and consumer problems. These range from small handheld devices, to connected objects, to furniture and installations.
We need to have additional capacity on demand and are looking to meet likeminded designers, who love the independence and variety of freelance, whilst still being as valued as a full-time team member when on a project.
We create objects in response to behaviour to solve problems for consumer brands (Red Bull, Ben & Jerry’s, AB InBev & Pernod Ricard) and design brands (Santa & Cole, Lakeland, Joseph Joseph & Anglepoise) all recognised leaders in their respective markets.
We’re looking for a handful of people to put on speed-dial, not create a bunch of names on a list. In exchange for being on our preferred suppliers list, we’ll be looking to reward committed designers with the right attitude and cultural fit with projects, on a project by project basis.
We’re moving to the Central Research Unit in Hayes, to become more agile and to benefit from more co-creation that comes when you flex teams and minds more often. We are surrounded by amazing people and by all the latest technology (3D printers, CNC machines, Laser cutters etc.) to quickly make ideas happen.
- Ideating and producing presentation level sketches, Photoshop visuals, models and prototypes and play a key role in product development.
- Respond to concept and ideation briefs quickly and efficiently, generating highly innovative workable ideas that are on brief.
- Ability to translate a concept across a range of scales, materials and brand identities.
- Create design briefs and manage a team of designers.
- Very strong communication and project management skills, demonstrating commercial awareness when liaising with our clients, the account team, designers, suppliers and manufacturers.
- Very experienced in design for manufacture and the production of highly detailed CAD models and drawings.
- Ability to communicate your ideas effectively to clients.
- Resourceful, intuitive and inventive problem solving in all areas of the design process.
- The experience to build, push and inspire the work and personal development of other designers.
- The ability to work independently and within a team.
- Thorough understanding and experience of manufacturing, materials, processes, and mechanical principles.
About the senior designer:
- 7+ years’ industry experience.
- A great thinker who can understand and interpret brands, appreciating how products and brands interact with consumers.
- A strong communicator who is passionate, inquisitive and outward going.
- A self-motivated, energetic and inspiring team player not afraid to roll their sleeves up and get involved.
- Expert in CAD – Solidworks, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.