Studio Make Believe
Studio Make Believe is a growing, independent product design business that creates useful objects to solve business, brand and consumer problems. These range from small handheld devices, to connected objects, to furniture and installations.
We need to have additional capacity on demand and are looking to meet likeminded designers, who love the independence and variety of freelance, whilst still being as valued as a full-time team member when on a project.
We create objects in response to behaviour to solve problems for consumer brands (Red Bull, Ben & Jerry’s, AB InBev & Pernod Ricard) and design brands (Santa & Cole, Lakeland, Joseph Joseph & Anglepoise) all recognised leaders in their respective markets.
We’re looking for a handful of people to put on speed-dial, not create a bunch of names on a list. In exchange for being on our preferred suppliers list, we’ll be looking to reward committed designers with the right attitude and cultural fit with projects, on a project by project basis.
We’re moving to the Central Research Unit in Hayes, to become more agile and to benefit from more co-creation that comes when you flex teams and minds more often. We are surrounded by amazing people and by all the latest technology (3D printers, CNC machines, Laser cutters etc.) to quickly make ideas happen.
- Ideating and producing presentation level sketches, Photoshop visuals, models and prototypes and play a key role in product development.
- Respond to design briefs quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to design across a range of scales, materials and brand identities.
- Good communication and project management skills, demonstrating a commercial awareness when liaising with the account team, designers, suppliers and manufacturers.
- Ability to design for manufacture and produce highly detailed CAD models and drawings.
- Ability to communicate your ideas effectively.
- Resourceful, intuitive and inventive problem solving to support a broad range of design briefs.
- The ability to work independently and within a team.
- Working knowledge and experience of manufacturing, materials, processes, and mechanical principles.
- A degree in Product Design or Industrial Design.
- 4+ years’ industry experience.
- Very good proficiency in CAD – Solidworks, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- A developing portfolio of innovative and creative design work.
- Strong communication skills.
- You are passionate, enthusiastic and flourish in a fast-paced environment.